With the winter season comes road trips to see the family for the holidays as well as winter vacations to go skiing and snowboarding. These road trips can bring plenty of fun and laughter however there are also many hazards along the way. While you want to make sure that you have the best NJ Auto Insurance available, here are a few winter driving tips to help you get to your destination safely.
- Your Vehicle- Make sure that you check that your car is in good working condition. Check that the battery is charged, tire tread is not worn, and windshield wipers are in good condition and check all fluid levels in your engine.
- Emergency Kits- Ensure that you have a kit that contains jumper cables, flashlights, blankets, food, water, warning devices such as flares, and some sort of abrasive material such as sand or kitty liter. Keep this kit along with medications and a fully charged cell phone in the cab of your car for easy access in the event that you are unable to get out of the car.
- Plan Your Trip- Plan your route and have alternate routes available in the event that the weather gets too bad to drive. Check the weather ahead of time and if a severe storm is expected during your trip, consider altering the dates of your trip.
- DRIVE SAFE- Be prepared and know how to maneuver on ice or snow. If possible, practice in an empty parking lot before your trip. Be aware that it takes longer to stop on ice and snow and that brakes should be applied with slow steady pressure. Know your brakes and how they react to skidding. Steer into a skid. If possible don’t come to a complete stop. Avoid stopping on hills.
- Stay With Your Car- In the event that you get stuck in the snow do not leave your car. Your vehicle is easier for rescue crews to find than you are by yourself.
- Flag Them Down- Help safety crews locate you by placing brightly colored ribbon or tape on your antenna or hang cloth out of your windows.
- Run the Engine Sparingly- If you run the engine, do so just long enough to take the chill out of the air as you want to conserve as much fuel as possible. Keep tail pipes clear of snow to avoid carbon monoxide buildup.
At Connell Insurance Agency, we understand how important it is to be able to safely enjoy your holidays. Call us today to learn more about our NJ Auto Insurance. 888.590.0715