You’ve made the decision to purchase a new motorcycle. However, before you hit the road, planning a regular maintenance routine will help keep your new ride in optimal condition. In addition to protecting your bike with New Jersey Motorcycle Insurance, carry out the following basic maintenance check to spot any warning signs to prevent any major problems.
Consider the following maintenance tips to avoid unnecessary costs.
Basic checks include:
- Tires: Be aware of unusual wear patterns and tread depth. Insert a quarter between the grooves of the tire. If the tread doesn’t reach passed the top of Washington’s head, it’s time to purchase new tires.
- Lights and Signals: Keep in mind that lights don’t necessarily show wear and can stop working suddenly. It is imperative to check your brake lights, headlights, high and low beams and turn signals regularly.
- Battery: Examine for battery corrosion or loose connections. Use baking soda and water to clean the connections, and then scrub with a household toothbrush. In addition, test your battery using a voltmeter.
- Brakes: Thin brake pads will affect your ability to stop quickly and efficiently. Keep an eye on brake pad thickness and brake fluid levels.
- Oil: Changing your oil is a simple, affordable way to keep your bike in excellent shape. In addition, regularly checking your oil will maintain your engine’s efficiency. Keep in mind that older long-distance motorcycles will may require frequent oil maintenance checks. Also, consider using synthetic oil to reduce the frequency of oil changes.
At Connell Insurance Agency, we know how important it is to protect your motorcycle and we would like to help. We are one of the very few insurance agencies out there that offers this type of high-risk insurance. Call us today to learn more about our Auto Insurance policies at (888) 590 – 0715.